Saturday, January 31, 2009

Garden Resolutions

This week I got a bunch of seed catalogs in the mail, getting me excited for the 2009 growing season. I can say I am officially ready for spring. This year I have big hopes for our vegetable garden. Instead of going to Fleet Farm and picking out a bag full of seed packets off the shelf, I think I might try ordering some from the catalogs. There are so many varieties out there. Did you know you can grow purple carrots?? I have several hours ahead of me to pour over the catalogs and make our selections. It will make these cold winter nights pass quickly.

The garden from last year ended up being mostly a tomato garden, which quickly grew out of control. We had so many tomatoes... A garden resolution of ours is better garden planning. We didn't really think about placement, spacing, and amounts until planting day and after things started growing, we had pole beans strangling peas and tomatoes smothering onions and lettuce.


With the garden planning, comes the garden upkeep. I admit, I was not the most dedicated gardener last year. It seemed I couldn't get ahead of the weeding and harvesting, plus there is always other responsibilities and commitments away from the garden. Thank goodness for my Mom helping me out. Thanks Mom! Planting a smaller garden will help. But there are so many fun things to grow...

For the gardeners out there, where do you get your seeds from? What is your favorite food to grow?

4 comments:

Ryan (LWM) said...

If I occasionally plant things and they proceed to grow just enough to make it known that they die a slow and painful death, is that gardening?

Christy said...

I get my seeds from Southern Exposure Seed Exchange. I've got my brocolli started and need to get my sweet potatoes going soon.

denise said...

My favorites are Peaceful Valley, Abundant Life Seeds, Seeds of Change, Southern Exposure, Seed Savers Exchange, Bountiful Gardens, and Baker Creek, of course. :)

Crazy Chicken Lady said...

Hi, I love your blog! I don't have too much room, so I like to grow container fruits. Last year, I was very happy with Stark Brother's nursery. This year I ordered from Sand Hill preservation Center, mostly, tomato seeds and a spring mix of greens for my chickens. Burpee's and Gurneys are also favorite places to order from.